Tuesday, January 2, 2024

[KDrama]

As a person who likes to keep track on things they watch and read, hence I keep a blog for decompression and also for sharing purposes, in '23 I rekindled with Korean dramas. At first I haven't thought I'd be so lucky to watch something I will like so much and something that will click with me to this extent, as a result I thought about how different the dramas I watched in the past were (I had a pause that lasted for a decade, no kidding) and the new dramas showed how the industry grew and evolved in a good way. Although many nostalgic group people might say - why they don't shoot dramas like before - it's as if there are no interesting dramas, which is completely untrue. The development of technology allowed to move cinematography, camera work, cgi many levels up! Let's not talk about scripts. From dramas I saw many use innovative transitions, shots, use of cranes and drones, the colors are vivid and many more details. Although many dramas are still filmed in a studio, but it lost the "studio feel" that dramas had a decade ago and they feel more natural. Plus the direction of dramas changed as well. How should I put it.. from several dramas I've seen, it was really all "drama", it was more melodramatic, soap opera (or maybe I was that unlucky). Like for example some drama in a wealthy family etc. Actually reminded me of what is popular in Turkish TV shows, but those went further, while Korean TV dramas have 16 episodes per show (average number), then Turkish shows are like few hundred episodes long.. damn, just like Santa Barbara. For people who watched it, as the first really long series that I watched on TV, this title became a common noun used to describe a TV series that runs THIS long. I mean even Mexican TV series paled in comparison. Yeah, we watched a lot of stuff in early 00's
Uh, I went off-topic. Anyway, back then I had a feeling as if everything is too melodramatic and there is nothing more to it. Not to mention the technology wasn't as developed, so things like cgi looked a bit low-budgety. And bad choice (bad luck) in dramas, plus the soap opera feel made me lose all interest in Korean dramas for a whole decade. Only with involvement of short videos (YT Shorts) recently it allowed to take a glimpse at some popular kdramas and I was caught in the whirpool again. Kidding, I was happy to be caught, I found that many dramas can be so different and entertaining. And they made me happy and allowed me to relieve stress, which is a big plus. I don't know if I will add KDrama reviews here, since I started writing them on MDL, so who knows. After all there are no option to include pictures on MDL unlike throwing them here hehehe.
Just a day ago I finished 'Destined with you', which was my New Year watch, not chosen for the purpose and has nothing to do with NY :'D it just happened that I watched it and NY came along ahaha. Part of me still wants to throw a word or two here and share several snippets. But let's leave it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment