As it turns out this is a part of author's Magiford universe, but does nto require the knowledge or reading of previous books, since it's a stand-alone.
Starting over as a house manager in a charming small town sounded perfect. Until my new boss turned out to be a vampire.After burning myself out at my corporate career, I take a job managing a mansion in a picturesque tourist town to reset my life.The house is historic. The town is charming. The locals are welcoming. And, as I accidentally discover, my unfairly handsome employer, Beckett Kinge, is a vampire in hiding.Beckett prefers order, privacy, and absolutely no supernatural mishaps.Unfortunately for both of us, a rogue vampire is attacking the locals. The same people who have been nothing but nice to me. As attacks escalate and secrets unravel, staying uninvolved is no longer an option.And somehow the only person who steps up to find the vampire is me—the mansion manager with poor people skills who knows absolutely nothing about supernaturals.At least… I think I’m the only one working this case. But somewhere between tracking a killer and trying not to die, I realize Beckett isn’t just protecting his secret. He’s protecting me. And that might be far more dangerous for my emotional well-being.Regardless, the rampaging vamp has to be found, or no one in town will be safe. Not even me.
#cozy, paranormal, urban, fantasy, romance
Very short and easy read, I think such story is perfect for someone who wants paranormal, but cozy story and don't want to stress. I realized I might want a bit more stress and a plot that is not so obvious.
Though partially I found it kinda silly. Especially the gnomes part.
But I'll be honest, when there is "managing the house" in the title I'd expect more about the house, which isn't completely true (well, to be hoenst, except the fact that Abi is managing the house indeed, the house itself or the topic o managing it are nto relevant to the story, you can disagree). If someone remembers books by Douglas Adams and his "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which I think should be called like self-explanatory title? Yeah, the one that made so many similar titles when someone guides to something. But at least it gives you an idea of what's going on, partially. Here it is used in the same fashion.
Some of the titles I noticed lately start to sound like what Chinese and Japanese markets prefer, they love titles that explain what is going on, instead of using short or concise title that is abstract. E.g. using "I am attracted to my arch-nemesis" instead of something vague like "Shards of ice" (which can be story about anything, except ice ahaha).
I got used to this trend so much that started expecting what title promises to be the central theme. And it's on me. If you read the blurb you will know that main thing happening isthis rogue vampire causing troubles and it threatens both sides. But cozy stories always give you a feeling like it's no big deal, at least I read them as such (maybe because I know it's a cozy story and nothing will happen so I don't really expect anything too intense happening and if something happens I'm not worried at all).
I still don't know much about the house tbh, only that it's old and big and has a library you'd marry a beast for (which I think was a witty reference to beauty and the beast in the book and I couldn't help quotting it). But in general it's the story of Abi, who moved cities to get here and change pace, and Beckett who lives in pretty much seclusion and doesn't want to get involved in paranormal activities.
Thanks to author at least through actions and dialogues it was partially shown why the two got hots for each other. instead of one of the characters simply saying - oh, she's so smart, so intelligent, so witty, so this, so that. There were parts like this of course, but they were supported by something more than empty words. They both acted as they deserve those compliments ahaha.
The story is pretty cozy and not demanding at all. Easy to guess plot, so if you expect some twist I am sad to say it won't happen. They start as employee and employer, slowly become friends and then fall in love, while things happen in their small town that threaten the locals. Rogue vampire is never good news. There is a dilemma about Beckett not wanting to get involved, but he still does, because he cares about Abi's well-being. But overall some may find such books not "deep" enough in terms of relationships and such.
Not much to add.
RATE: 4/5.

No comments:
Post a Comment