BOOKS
CHN
Lin An Si, it's your turn again to be ranted about. No really, what is wrong with this author.
[BL] 穿书成隐藏大佬堆的幼崽 by 林盎司 *JJ
Yu Qingye transmigrates and become a "fake" master, but he is only 5 years old (15yo before transmigrating, which honestly doesn't matter she can't pay attention to her own settings, while the beginning was more believable, later he instantly felt like he fell into IQ loss and then he just acts too mature, in the span of mere 10 chapters mind you) and the real master is actually reborn. Yu Qingye's plan is to see what this body's real family looks like, because he doesn't trust the real young master retelling of his life and actually exchange early on while they're still little.
The real young master isn't actually a good person as well, which is very cliche, he is of course hypocritical and ungrateful, only remembers his rich aunt that spent money on him, while pours dirt on his uncle who took care of him and protected him with his life in a car accident. His parents who brought up the young Yu Tian (his name in this universe) are the same as their kid, they start to treat badly their kid even before they received the paternity test. Honestly the entire chapter about the dinner will go into annals of her writing, since you can't be more old-fashioned when describing the parents of the real young master, of course they're homophobic when it comes to uncles raising the boy, also prejudiced towards them so much, don't even question or want to see for themselves how exactly they treat the kid, they just go along with a kid. Any adult knows that kids can say as it is, but also say as they see it. I wasn't even surprised at her portrayal by that point. And of course it's done for one purpose only.
Very cliche plot where a baby who is so good and sensible will turn out the darling of the family and family will reveal that they're actually not a simple family, that both his unces (uncle and his lover) are successful people who don't reveal their true identity for some reasons, also other members who are some prominent figures in disguise will show their tail as well I'd say.
Maybe Lin An Si thought that previous story was so successful that she's going to repeat it. Because in her previous story we had a troubled young man who only turned I don't remember how old he was, 18 maybe? she decided it's going to be super tragic to let the boy be unloved by his two parents who used money he earned when filming as a child star on their two new families the boy had no idea about and she decided to add the snot by making the boy pass being hit by a car. Here the beginning is same tragic, the MC is unloved in his family, his parents divorced and he had to stay with his dad, his mother left him with no strings attached and not looking back, he lived under the same roof and felt like a bag for punching and of course be servile to his younger brother. Of course his dad was such a scumbag that he will make him drop out of school and turn to work (did not work because at the same night MC transmigrates). Stuff like that Lin An Si seem to come to love so much. But the thing is she likes to do it to showcase the contrasting lives where now they'll be loved and cherished just for who they are.
But I don't buy it, the parents of these kids don't get their comeuppance and the kid, which was a problem for them is gone and they get no retribution (maybe they do, I DNF'd the previous work pretty quickly).
The next thing I predict for this story is that it'll be long, it'll be so long that you'll be surprised. I already saw through the style of this author few novels ago, she likes to add unnecessary stuff, it's my ongoing joke about 30 shower scenes and it came from this author. So the story is not only long but watery af. Imagine this, the famous Heaven Official's blessing is just 200+ chapters, my favorite Nightmare Live is 700+ but it is a complex multi-arc novel, Lin An Si ballooned her previous work to be 500+ chapters of family drama.
This time around she decided to make MC even younger before he transmigrates, well, I could get his reactions and fear at first. I thought "wow, is she going to make a different MC and make him really sound like a teen?" was my naive thought. But honestly it's like his IQ jumped around. At some parts he feels clever and mature, at other times author tries really hard to make you believe that he was so socially inept that he doesn't understand if the actions of "real" young master are common or not, as if he never communicated with anyone before or even witnessed his own family's relationship. He may had no friendly relationships before, but the kid does not live in isolation, we've all been there, where we can sit in our own corner but still see what others are doing or how they interact. And also have our opinion on it. She made it sound as if the boy lived under a rock all this time. And I don't believe it as always. So many stories she wrote and her portrayal is still on that level, but she built a following that supports her so props to that. If you like their repetitive stories then you're welcome to know their new story is being published. But any interest I had in her vanished when I realized she just recycles her own stuff.
[BL] 民国花旦重生后爆红娱乐圈 by 折吱*JJ
(mtl:A Republic of China actor becomes a sensation in entertainment industry after his reborth)
The story covers the life of Chu Jiu who has struggled in times of unrest and became a popular performer desired by many, but then he met his tragic end at the hands of invaders. But his life did not end at that, he found himself traveling to the future and becoming a celebrity embroiled in scandlas. Chu Jiu takes pity on Xiao Chu as he calles the owner of the body, because the person is not without acting talent, but his mentality of being stressed and not being keen on social relatiosnhips led him into the trap. The same person who claims tot ake care of him on the show is the one sending the most negative news about him. And this could have been Xiao Chu's last stage if Chu Jiu hasn't arrived in time.
What things Chu Jiu hasn't seen in his life? This actor named Ning Xi who thoroughly used Xiao Chu's popularity to his advantage certainly is not getting away. He is a pro at playing along. He will show him what a talent means.
The internet that was buzzing with news saw new episodes of the acting variety show and found themselves being attracted to the changes in Chu Jiu and his acting skills improving. Chu Jiu was not bothered and might have continued like he always did, but among the judges was a guest star renowned for his acting skills - Lu Hanzhang.
Being very experienced at flirting Chu Jiu didn't mind approaching the aloof actor, even if he met the rejection he was still intrigued because he never saw a person as Hanzhang before. But as their relationship develops he finds that their roles changed.
Let's start from the good part. I liked the relationship.
It starts with Chu Jiu openly flirting with Hanzhang, but Hanzhang acts like a gentleman, he doesn't get angry or gets petty. Because in Chu Jiu's mind no strings were attached is when he was the most firvolous. But later on the more he got together with Hanzhang he realized that Hanzhang is the type of person who once he gets serious it will be because of deep affection that won't be easily dispelled. So when Chu Jiu decides to cease his flirtations, because he knew he couldn't commit to a relationship he is confessed by Hanzhang.
Hanzhang is actually very prejudiced towards Chu Jiu, but later when they work more together he is surprised to find more new sides to Chu Jiu he knew nothing about. He knew that flirting won't go anywhere and actually thought of making himself clear one day, but eventually realized that he took care of Chu Jiu like no other person and he might have come to like him. This is why he decided to confess his feelings, being surprised that Chu Jiu did not agree. He knew and felt that Chu Jiu is not indifferent, but their level of affection is different. But he didn't give up.
Chu Jiu found that no one else in the world would fit him like Hanzhang, he makes him so comfortable, he is so caring. He let the feelings in his heart grow and the more time passed he found that feelings became more profound. The only question left was... it seems he is not the one who will end on top.
I did not finish it. An I'll tell you why. It would have been interesting and the relationship would really pull through if the style of sriting wasn't this meandering. I can't even express well how tedious it was to read and I started skipping parts before decided that I had enough and finished the last chapters.
The relationship and storyline unfortunately get lost in unnecessary details. It's funny to me because when things needed details they lacked them, but when it came to some basic stuff it went on and on without stopping. And it's not like those details were important, but some important parts would get lost in such heavy text.
Also the problem it seems in author treating readers as kindergarteners, not only writing something basic, but also explaining in details the motivation for actions or words.
Because of the barrage of words I'm sure I missed several illogical parts. It was just too much. Such meticulousness should have a purpose, but the only purpose I found here is basically watering down the content.
This story is 188 chapters long, okay?!
Imagine my frustration that they get together around 80th, then some action happens around 105, but by that time I'm so tired of this style of writing that I can't muster any excitement.
The story covers the variety show, which is the one that lacked details, even if it was described so extensively. Then filming. And on-going confrontation with Ning Xi and one of the mentrs, director Xu Wenhao who had his eyes on Chu Jiu.
As for the show, it seemingly describes a lot of scenes, but you know what? I still have no idea what type of format they used and what's the logic. At times it feels like it describes a theater type, they have background and wear mikes and also there were scenes where public reacted and distracted actors, not to mention mentors describe it as production that needs to be adapted to the scene. But then it suddenly says that there are pre-recorded parts. Some parts require a lot of extras, space and backgrounds etc. I just got so confused. Also the "adapted works" felt like too much going on and it did not connect the dots. Whatever, what do I know.
It could really win from editing and cutting down at least half of that text, but imagine when it all depends on word count to edit all that. Of course no one would be willing to do it. But it only proves that the work becomes flawed and overblown.
As for the logic flaws. I was sitting and thinking that the situation with the director was blown out of proportions and it was unrealistic.
So we have with director Xu Wenhao who is supposed to be a big director, but I haven't seen him described as a true pillar, because wen he was pushed he fell too quickly. He wanted to get Chu Jiu or otherwise destroy his prospects, and the guy is experienced. But the thing is every mentor is described as if they fear him and the troubles they can get into, so they dance around his ego a lot. Which is unrealistic, no director can hold so much power and not to mention there are so many directors in the industry, even if they're interconnected some may have conflicts, you can always find a way out. he was only described as such, but we don't see anything to prove that fear. But to me the strange part was, one of these mentiors is a wife of entertainment company, she married the boss and is now the boss' wife, they lived together for so long, yet she still acted as if the guy is more important. But director does not live in isolation, without capital he's nothing. The way he was brought down was too easy. And the guy stuck around for so long, I think it was chapter 96 when the things went down for him. But this type of storytelling is unsatisfying.
The best part of it are two main protagonists and their relationship. But I couldn't care less about meandering. Quote from our intelligent MC:
- "It's good for a person to be confident in themselves, but if that confidence goes too far and they fail to see the progress of others or realize the gap between themselves and others, then it becomes arrogance."
[BG] 快穿之男神苏炸天 by 姩潇潇 (*Qidian)
(mtl: Quick transmigration: The male lead is so charming)
Another masterpiece from this site. I ommit many ones that I open and close with the first chapter, this one I read a bit more because I was kinda shocked?
What brought me to mention it are author's words how they see the rating drop and they don't know why. I don't want to disappoint but... author maybe doesn't realize that they wrote an unlikable and gaslighting female lead.
FMC is supposed to be a dragon or smth, so she excuses her behavior with it a lot, like she doesn't understand human feelings. Yes, it may be right, but it feels like a dragon has no feelings of her own. Her description of feelings often comes across as cheap.
Plots are not worth of mentioning they're too over the top, they're just galloping without stopping and many things look as a draft. So it's easy to get tired of it. I got tired pretty quickly.
MC for some reason falls in love with this girl. Although she treats him poorly I'd say, gaslights him all the time (by the way she speaks). The way she treats romance is cringe-worthy with only words like "You like me. I like you. We can date. When do we marry" when they know each other for a short while. MC bends and stretches to follow this. She never lingers, never responds to unspoken words and never appreciates anything. Going on a date? She hates it because she'd rather stay home. Okay. A big bouquet of flower? Cumbersome to hold. She appreciates, she will say so, but also will add it's cumbersome. Too straightforward. And often repeats one and only answer wen asked if she ever loved the man when they're at the end of their lives, she says - what do you think? I am so rich and beautiful and men would line up after me but I was with you. She always answers with a question of this type. She can barely say I like you. I read few arcs, laughed at how silly it is and then decided that it was time to press 'x'.
Mentions:
I did re-read [BL] 我可怜,我装的 by 薄夭 (*JJ), since it's entertaining trashy read. I made a review on it long time ago.
[BG] 快穿:病娇大佬吃起醋来真要命 by 把你饭叼走 (*Qidian). Thought it'd be sweet and maybe trashy entertainment type, but honestly some writers don't realize how their characters look when they write. Thus it ends up looking bad. Plus the FMC is just the silly type, even though when I first read the introduction that she travels to collect soul pieces of her beloved husband I thought it was nice for a start, but then her reactions to some things were weird to me (either I think the timing was wrong or they looked not good), because the guy fell for her, it's all fine and dandy before you realize he is following her every move. The original storyline doesn't matter since it is solved instantly as if the male lead of the story is that insignificant. The tw easily get together and it's a happy life, nothing else matter but romance.
DNF'd [BL] 禁止歧视幼崽! by 樱满庭 (*JJ) It's a story of MC who lands as a ..cub. And it's significant in every world, but I do not care to continue. It just didn't grab my attention. What weirds me the most is that this lands into BL category, it's put into category by the author. Maybe something will happen in the future how do I know, MC was still a cub at the end of arc 1.
DNF'd [BL] 向导伴侣印记消失后 by 樱满庭 (*JJ) Thought the premise was interesting, but later realized that characterization is just... Anyway it's not my cup of tea and I wanted to punch author in the face a bit.
US
Lady Ludmilla's Accidental Letter by Sofi Laporte
1st book in Merry Spinsters, Charming Rogues series. The title is self-explanatory, Lady Ludmilla indeed wrote a letter to her friend, but had no idea that tenants changed and she was answered by a man. Instead of severing the exchange then and there she continued this exchange of letter for several years, before fate made her return to London. And she hated London so much.
It's perfect for readers who like the theme of misunderstanding that will be present for entirety of the book. Readers as much as Ludmilla, shortened and lovingly called Lu, are chasing the red herring for most of the story, because author likes to throw dust in your eyes.
When Lu comes to London she is overwhelmed by the idea of meeting her Addy or staying in disguise. But coincidences keep happening that always lead her astray. At first she felt she got it right when thought that St Addington, the person she disliked, is her Addy. But then she finds out that he also has a cousin living in his house who is called Adam Adey. Even the reader may become confused since Adam mentions "writing a letter" or "waiting for a letter" several times, very much when mentoning such activity will lead us to believ he may be our Addy. So the whole thing is more like going back and forth before protags are honest with each other.
Oh, another thing is why Lu despised St Addington at first, although he was nto exactly the person she should loathe. When she oly debuted she was approached by a man, Matthew, but then accidentally she finds out he wants her money as a daughter of a Duke and all that flirting was nothing but a pretence. She disliked St Addington because he enticed Matthew to bet, though she saw that matthew wasn't against betting himself.
Of course as time went by and they came to know each other more such harsh feelings changed. He on the other hand was remorseful, since he liked her a lot for a very long time.
Very easy to read book, you can breeze through it. But again, the problem with modern HR romance is that it reads too modern. The way people speak and act.
Also author's humor, if there was such, passed me by so hard. I really didn't see anything funny with what characters found funny.
The last part where Lu goes back to Bath with her aunt she is rumored to be a fallen woman since she kissed St Addington in public (on his cheek), but then she said some random stuff like what a spinster to do and became a sensation after some passing Duchess told her she is something. I was baffled kinda.
I decided I won't continue with other books from this series.
RATE: 3/5.
I started reading the fourth book from the series and am around 25% in. I really have no idea how it happened, but I won't be dwelling on it. We start from sudden departure of Veronica on a longest vocation. Just after she and Stoker might have broken the barrier of friends to lovers, but they were stopped and Veronica backpedalled. Anyway Stoker's older brother comes to Veronica (since he is one of those gentlemen who is charmed~ by her, though who knows why) with a deal, so she will travel with him for a visit (she sold herself for butterflies but this time she feels more and more inclined to have live butterflies instead of making specimens). I think the name of butterfly was sompletely fabricated. Shocker I know, I'm sarcastic because I remember I googled on of the names and got some really random butterfly that can be found anywhere. Anyway, they travel and this man asks her to pretend to be his fiance, since it will not tarnish her reputation. Stoker actually arrived separately, but with same destination, but honestly girl hurt his feelings so much already by refusing and dancing around the topic.
As for what happens on this island is that it has a castle and it all gives gothic vibes, they even have poison plants garden. Locals believe in mermaids and ghosts. Since one of them is rumored to haunt the halls of the castle. I hope it won't go into supernatural or something odd that will have no good reason but something supernatural.
Also this bad boy here. I found this on IG and thought it's such a cool idea to have a whole book of puzzles like that. It was like a door opened to a new world. So there is a niche with books like that. It's so interesting. I love the interactive idea of it.
After seeing there are also other puzzles like Murdoku I actually ended up staying so late at night on their site ennamored in the puzzle-solving.
This one caught my attention because the FMC after the death of her husband finds he might have deceived her and she had no idea about his secrets. This way a person is brought in into investigating in a logical fashion.
This one chosen because I wanted to try something new and from recommended, will see how it goes.
FUTURE RELEASES
Most of these come from the lists of recommended future releases. I'm so obvious that I go for covers and titles. Except Bodies of Magic, that came as rec from YT. I thought that Revenge plot itself sounds amazing, I'd like to see the story which promises mystery thriller and really inteesting premise of author who wants to be published and will not take no for an answer. Kiss, slay, replay is a loop novel and I want to try it, it sounds fun. If it's going to be unhinged I'm wlecoming it. As for I hope this email finds you in hell it reminded me of some fun stories when I was reading about metaphysics and connecting the two sounds fun. I think I remember one especially which was a BL story where a programmer joined the hell company and later they together invented many things, it was light-hearted and humorous.
I haven't watched anything these days except catching up with Running Man show. The only variety I still watch.
.jpg)

.webp)









No comments:
Post a Comment