Saturday, October 22, 2022

[Movie] DUNE Part I



DUNE is not only a sci-fi movie, but a work of art. There are some movie projects that make me full of anticipation before their release and that is how I felt about DUNE. And the anticipation was filled with palpitation, anticipation and fear of being disappointed, since stakes were so high. Although my acquantance with Villeneuve is quite short, but from the work he has done and the love he expressed for this movie I knew at least tiny little bit what I could expect. As a result my watching experience from start to finish consisted of seeing love and fascination with the world of Dune and that influenced me a lot, closely interwined with most stunning cinematography, absolutely fascinating music score, making me simply emotional from what I was witnessing. 

Villeneuve could be called someone who can insert a pause. I find that his scene pace was enough to keep up with changes, including but not limited to the change of events and also emotional changes, thus you absorb the information (if you're a new person to the Dune story) and when you look back you realize that actually there were so many changes. I applaude that this movie was divided into two parts, which are quite distinct between fall and rise of the character, as I personally perceive them. 

Impressions:

The amount of work that was put into every detail is insane. No wonder DUNE won all the Oscars in the categories of cinematography and sound and cgi, like no one could compare in the moment. Architecture and styles were the things that amazed me a lot. When seeing familiar cliffs and the sea, also eaten by sand and time mountains and dunes it was up to small architectural and items details that has given the feeling that it's somewhere else, but surely not on our own planet. The style of planets, forts and ships added to this feeling. What I liked the most is that architecture was actually logical: Arrakis, a planet full of sand, it's architecture is full of simple design, thick stone walls and narrows windows and slits that give enough light, but not allowing much sand and heat. Ocean planet Caladan is covered in lush mountains and its warships dwell in water. Giedi Prime as homeworld of Harkonnen is full of darkness and black color as its' prime one (which I personally assosiate with industrialization, iron and oil, I guess it wasn't made into a big mystery and even the "bath" for recuperation was made black and oily to fit it).



Costume design and customs were also carried out beautifully. For example the House of Artreides wears a military uniform with high boots, Harkonnen are mostly dressed in black and leather, Fremen are represented by the specially designed suit to survive in waterless desert (which in the books also had another function that was not brought in the movie, but I can understand why). All characters had their own details and flavors, maybe others will think that it's just so you won't mix those groups, but look at us, we always divided people into groups and had given them distinguishable traits as a symbol to be recognized. Btw the customs of Arrakis are also well-thought, although it might be a bit repulsive at a point, for example spitting (since we're too accustomed to be an insult), but for a place where water is more precious than gold it carries an absolutely different feeling. I actually really loved the designs and thoughts of big and small things, starting from the "dragonfly" airships to small gadgets for desert survival.

CGI + reality. The work that was done in terms of graphics is amazing. I also bow down to the ability to combine the special effects and natural shots. For example, the flight through the storm scene, the whole flight and airship are cgi, but landing and dragging of the cabin is real (I really want to see how they made that scene possible). Or the movement of worms in the sand blasting, but the vibration of the sand in a close shot is real. You can guess how some things were made, but what I love is how it was well put together to involve you into more realistic feeling like this is happening. That's why I like this part where cgi is more like an embellishment than the main player.





Music and sound effect. What will be forever incredible to me as a viewer is the work done on the sound effects. From all the little details to wonderful word from the creators who shared their experience of how they worked and what they did to let the Dune become real, I was completely left in awe. The passion of these people can't leave you indifferent, the originality of all the sound creation fills you with desire to create and the music so charming that makes your heart beat stronger. I can only applaude everyone who worked and thank them for not following the "orchestra" trend and making music a distinct part of this movie.

I personally loved everything about it and ended up watching Dune several times just to catch every tiny detail that was put there for you to notice. The story is amazing, the cast and acting were impeccable, the work done was immense, the love put into this movie is touching. And to whoever who loves sci-fi, who loves universes that are so vast to be explored, the stories so fascinating to be followed, the charm that can't be missed. I think this is a journey you should allow yourself. The journey of growth, the journey of intrigue, the journey of bravery, the journey of mission, the journey of DUNE.



No comments:

Post a Comment